This large renovation project at Rue Myrha, in Paris’s 18th arrondissement, gave birth to an innovative building – the first social housing project of its kind – which combines a metal framework with hempcrete.
The weight factor
Tradical® Hempcrete is an ultralight concrete weighing in at 330 kg/m3 compared with 2.23 t/m3 for reinforced concrete.
This was a huge advantage for the Paris site as it enabled the NORTH BY NORTHWEST architects and the LM INGENIEUR design engineers to reduce the foundation footprint to a depth of 3 m, with injections to a depth of 40 m.
A low impact on the environment
The project’s carbon footprint was also very good, as the impact of the construction stage was reduced by 60% with regard to Paris’s climate plan expectations, and it only represents a quarter of the overall carbon footprint (use and construction) over 40 years compared with a standard construction method.
GHG emission and energy efficiency
- Performance of the envelope: French H&E profil A certified
- GHG emission: 5kg CO2e/m²/year
- Energy performance: 49kWhPe/m²/year
Thickness = 27 cm, R = 3.17 m².K/W, lambda = 0.085 W/m.k
Thickness = 27 cm, R = 4.5 m².K/W, lambda = 0.06 W/m.k
- Floor area of the building: 570 m2 of net floor area (SHON)
- Total floor area of apartments: 345.78 m²
- Height of the building: Ground floor + 5 floors (with setback)
- Depth of foundations: 3 m
- Injection to a depth of 40 m
- Solar hot water
- Rainwater harvesting
- Natural self-insulating system
- 150 m3 hempcrete
- Tradical® PF70 lime and Chanvribat®
Interested in learning more about Tradical®?
BCB Tradical®: firstname.lastname@example.org
More examples about hempcrete homes and buildings